School Wide Positive Behaviour Supports (SWPBS)
Fairhills High School is fully committed to the School Wide positive behaviour support (SWPBS) framework that brings together school communities to develop positive , safe supportive learning cultures.
As a SWPBS School we will implement the eight essential features allowing teachers and students more time to focus on relationships and classroom instruction.
Students and staff benefit from:
- increased respectful and positive behaviour
- increased time focused on instruction
- improved social-emotional wellbeing
- positive and respectful relationships among students and staff
- increased adoption of evidence-based instructional practices
- a predictable learning environment with improved perceptions of safety and increased attendance.
Building Positive relationships – Vertical House System
Fairhills uses a vertical house system, which serves as a platform for friendly inter-house competitions, such as through Athletics Day, but also has a way of providing pastoral care to students. There are four houses, the Crocs(green), Redbacks (red), Quokkas(yellow) and the Dolphins(Blue) each of which have a number of groups. Each group contains students from years 7 to 12, allowing senior students to mentor and be role models for younger students.
The students stay in the same house groups throughout their 6 years of schooling and are therefore able to form deeper connections to their mentor teacher, as well as each other building strong positive relationships.