Congratulations to students and staff in the Senior School on settling into the year, despite some hiccups with the timetabling program and the reselection of Year 9-10 electives. We have now sorted these issues and students will be engaged in the new electives from this week onwards.
Thank you to the Year 11 and 12 students for involving themselves in the conferences held last week. The VCE students heard from a variety of speakers focused on understanding the VCE and VCAL programs, setting goals and building motivation. This work has been carried on in the Thrive classes which have investigated time management and goal setting. Thrive classes will continue to revisit these concepts and many other important skills involved in fully developing and supporting our VCE students.
Year 12 students also receive their Year 12 Rugby Jumpers and have been proudly wearing them.
Students in Year 10 have also been focused on goal setting. This is a skill that needs to be developed in all our senior students and is important for a number of reasons. Some of these include:
- Making students aware of their strengths and weaknesses. This allows a student to focus on areas to work on plus acknowledge strengths.
- Setting goals (both short and long-term) can allow a student a sense of progress and achievement when these goals are met. This can provide an ongoing stimulus for continuing with their studies when things get difficult or challenging.
- Helping a student to visualize and plan specific actions to achieve their own specific goals. Having clear goals can help to motivate a student to complete these actions.
- Providing a clear direction and sense of purpose.
- Forcing a student to set priorities and make balanced decisions.
Assistant Principal and Senior School Leader