Excellent student attitudes to school results
I am thrilled to share with you some exciting data from our students regarding how they see Fairhills High School. The results demonstrate that the improvements we have and are implementing are supporting our students to reach their full potential. Our 2023 results are well above similar and network schools but also above all government schools across the Victoria.
This accomplishment is a testament of the dedicated and passionate staff at Fairhills High School. I want to thank them for being a part of the continuous improvement culture we are creating at Fairhills High School. We are all in it together.
*The data is compared to 2022 state percentages. 2023 similar, network and state schools data will be available shortly. These percentages do not change substantially from year to year.
Specific questions with 80%+ school-wide positive responses:
Effective teaching time
- My teachers are well prepared
Effective classroom behaviour
- My teachers expect students to pay attention
- My teachers set clear rules for classroom behaviour
- My teachers expect me to do my best
Attitudes to attendance
- I always try to attend school
- My parents/carers expect me to complete Year 12
Advocate at school
- There is a teacher or another adult at this school who believes I can be successful
Why have our results improved so much?
The data has demonstrated that students are feeling more connected to our school. Collectively students are telling us they feel like they belong. Connectedness is fundamental for high student growth. Initiatives like our sub-school structures and the THRIVE program have allowed for personalised attention and targeted support for students, ensuring each individual receives the guidance and develops life skills required for success.
In addition, the implementation of learning intentions, success criteria and schedules has provided clarity and direction, enabling students to understand what they are learning and how to achieve success and has resulted in a dramatic increase in our stimulated and differentiated learning data.
Our clear high expectations of school-wide behaviour have created a consistent and positive learning environment for all students. By utilising our non-negotiable processes to address any behavioural concerns promptly, we have developed a respectful and focused atmosphere within the classroom learning environment.
Furthermore, our consistent and multi-pronged approach to bullying prevention has also enhanced. By promoting a culture of respect and empathy as well as well as having a zero tolerance to bullying and/or harassment we have cultivated an environment where students feel safe and supported.
While we are thrilled with these accomplishments, we understand that our journey toward continuous improvement is a never-ending one. These include:
- Implementation of our LEARN model (how we teach), ensuring all students are consistently supported and inspired at their point of need.
- Continue to explicitly teach positive learning behaviours by utilising our school-wide positive behaviours matrix.
- In 2024, the new STEAM/Senior Learning Centre (SLC) and Music Learning Hub will provide students with state-of-the art environments to further promote collaboration, creativity, and innovation.
As a school community, we celebrate these achievements. Together, we nurture the growth and success of every student, creating and maintaining a positive and enriching educational experience for all.
Thank you for your ongoing support and partnership in our collective quest for excellence.
Ian Van Schie